re: A.I.

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Kelvin Bailey wrote:

> I actually liked this movie a lot.  I really liked the questions it
> asked, like what responsibilty do you have toward someone(thing) who
> loves you unconditionally?  I also liked the whole mixture of
> Spielbergian and Kubrickian elements.

me too. maybe i'm naiive or something, but i didn't find it cheesy or
stupid.

> It was rather like a lot of movies rolled into one: E.T., Wizard of
> Oz, Mad Max, Close Encounters, 2001...
>  But I totally didn't catch the similarity to Empire of the Sun, but
> Rhys is right.  It's definitely there.
>  Of course "young boy on a search for 'home'" is a pretty common
> thematic element for Spielberg.

the only reason i knew about the empire of the sun connection was because
i watched it, i haven't seen ET or 2001. mad max it reminded me of some,
but not a lot. everything was too green. the THunderdome, it did remind me
of - especially the fleshfair.

the scary thing to me watching it was - as a soceity, sometimes it seems
like we treat certain classes of people as if they've no feelings or
worth. and the whole question of children and love. somehow david was made
to feel that there is not enough love for him, and that he had to earn it.

> Okay, here's my confession.  I totally took the creatures at the end
> to be aliens instead of robots.

me too. especially when they said 'these machines were still alive when
the humans were still around'. if they were machines, how did they know
that? and did they just begin begetting themselves? they certainly didn't
look machine-like... they looked more feasibly alien - although robots
that look like that would be alien as well. dunno.

> caught it, would have caused me to clearly understand that they were
> indeed way advanced robots.  That understanding also definitely aids
> in understanding the film.
>
> All in all, I thought it was very good.  A bit too much mind candy for
> the summer movie crowd, but good.

true, but still, if you like to look for questions, it was good for that.

rhys

--
Time passed . . . Dirk Gently' Holistic Detective Agency, Douglas Adams