Carman

> Gil wrote:
>
> >C-stone lecture this year.
> >It was a music video of the man hisself set in
> the old west and he guns =
> down=20
> >a bunch of demons while singing a country rock
> tune. It was so =
> tasteless it=20
> >made my stomach turn. Luckily it was used as
> an example of what NOT to =
> do as=20
> >a Christian in the arts.
>
> You know, you can say a lot of things about
> Carman, but it takes all =
> types to satisfy the masses and there are a lot
> of people out there that =
> he reaches.  Just because we think we have
> refined tastes and we know =
> good art from bad art doesn't mean that
> everyone else does--it doesn't =
> even mean that we do.  It just means we have an
> opinion based on our =
> unique tastes.  Some opinions are shared by
> many--some are shared by =
> few.
>
> If you were someone who Carman appeals to, you
> wouldn't appreciate =
> someone else telling you that your particular
> tastes were somehow lesser =
> than anyone else's simply because he's
> perceived in certain circles as =
> an example of what not to do.  I say to each
> his or her own, and I hope =
> Carman continues to minister and reach those
> masses who are ready to =
> hear his message.  They just might not be ready
> for anything else at the =
> time.
>
> I'm not attacking Gil or anyone else, I just
> really get tired of hearing =
> regurgitated rhetoric about how much Carman
> Sucks.  Why can't we simply =
> say that much of what he does doesn't appeal to
> us?

Thank you for your message. I've had the same
thoughts about many other artists. Everyone has a
different opinion about music (read the reviews
on this list about "Flims for Radio" -- it's a
logical progression, it's too commercial, it's
not the OTR that I grew up with, it's the best
thing since sliced pepperoni). It's easy to bash
-- and you know, I happen to agree with the
sentiment that Carman's (and other CCM artists')
music is subpar -- and harder to see the good in
what they're doing (and I have to admit that I
swallowed hard after typing that).

Jeff McCloud
teamccloud at yahoo_com