Cornerstone, Part I

Here are my reviews of the shows at Cornerstone.  The whole week was
an awesome adventure, but I'll narrow it down to Over the Rhine only
content for these e-mails (and as you'll see, I'll be verbose enough
just about OtR)

For what it's worth, they are now advertising Jack Henderson's new solo
album at the merchandise desk.  It's called _Cheap Tattoo_ and
its coming out on July 16.  For $1, you could buy, you guessed it, a
"cheap tattoo" of a little cartoon bulldog.

Over the Rhine
Cornerstone
Accoustic Tent

7/6/2001

Over the Rhine gave us a "preview" of the Saturday Cornerstone show
before a packed out crowd in the accoustic tent.  The show was
"accoustic", but not really since Linford's keyboards and Jack's
guitars needed electricity or else we'd be hearing the clicking of
keys and strumming of strings.  Anyways.

This was a three piece show.  Here's what they looked like, from left
to right:

Linford - He's got that neon green shirt with brown pants and he's
wearing the orange sunglasses.  Hair cut short with sideburns.  He's
only got one keyboard set up which sounds like a regular piano.

Karin   - Blue sundress.  Um, one show she had her hair up, Terri
style, and the other she had pigtails.  I forget which.

Jack    - You know what Jack looks like.  He's wearing a black and
white pattern shirt with sunglasses.  He's got his Orange Gretch, the
Fender Strat, and his Slide, which I think is also made by Fender.

The Set List

Bothered
Etc. Whatever
If Nothing Else
Anything At All
Anyway
Orphan Girl
Lucy
Now I Know

ENCORE:
Rhapsodie

My Notes:
Bothered
    Nothing new to report here except that I love this song.  Jack is
doing his sustained tones thing.

Etc. Whatever
    Maybe a little bit faster tempo than on the album?  Again, way
cool tones from Jack in the background.

If Nothing Else
    Karin's having trouble hearing her vocals of her monitor.  But its
all fixed now.

Anything At All
    Two of the members of Brownhouse join in on background vocals and
snare drum.  I think their names were Cam and Carrie Nixon?  They are
apparently daughters of Dave Nixon, the man that married Karin and
Linford.  Karin said they are only 17 and 15.  Jack played the slide
for this song.

Anyway
    Karin shares the story about her father and her half-sister.

Robin Brown, your daughter is looking for you.

The Brownhouse girls leave and Dale Baker joins in on the snare drum.

Orphan Girl
Lucy
Now I Know
Two covers in one short set!  Nifty.

Rhapsodie
Karin and Linford only on this encore.

This show was a good preview for Saturday night.  Lots of laid back
songs to contrast the more powerful songs in their regular set.
That's what made Cornerstone so much fun this year.  We got to see
both the gentle side and the booty-kicking side.  More on
that later...

   Jeff

----
Visit the Over the Rhine History site
http://jeffreyholland.tripod.com/otrhine/index.html

Jeff Holland      JHolland444 at hotmail_com
http://JeffreyHolland.tripod.com