Re: cs lewis

> I totally disagree.  "Creation Science" is a very ligitimate science.
> It is not at all trying to justify things scientifically that are
> matters of faith; i.e. "I can prove that Jesus lives in my heart."
> (That would be ludicrous.)  Creation Science exists to offer
> scientific proof, from the pysical world, that creation is valid.

In other words, it puts the conclusion *ahead* of the evidence and, in
that sense, is *not* a legitimate science.

There's nothing wrong with looking for evidence to see whether or not it
supports a hypothesis.  But if you start with an unfalsifiable hypothesis,
which is more or less what "creation scientists" do, it ain't science.

> Phillip Johnson will be here next week doing a series of lectures.  I
> would love to go, if my work schedule allows.  I wish I had all of his
> knowledge in my little pea brain.

Given that Johnson isn't even a scientist, and given that some of his
claims about evolutionary science have been dead wrong (partly because he
got them from outdated undergrad textbooks and not, apparently, from
current scientific journals), and given that he has been unable to admit
his errors once they have been exposed, I would suggest you may want to
look for another hero.  The one lecture of his I attended at Cornerstone
was heavy on rhetoric and ad hominem attacks and short on knowledge.

Whenever this debate comes up, I always recommend _Darwinism Defeated?_, a
book which consists of several back-and-forth essays between Johnson and
Denis Lamoureux, a charismatic evangelical who happens to have doctorates
in dentistry, evolutionary biology, and theology; it also has essays by
Michael Behe, Howard Van Til, Loren Wilkinson, and numerous others, and
it's available through Regent College's publishing branch.

http://www.gospelcom.net/regent-bookstore/publishing/

For an article I did on a lecture of Lamoureux's at Regent, see:

http://www.canadianchristianity.com/cgi-bin/bc.cgi?bc/bccn/0300/lmlamoureux