Re: revisionism

Hi,

I know this is all totally off-topic, but I feel a need to address a particular
comment Matt made:

> The same schools that teach the THEORY of evolution "as if" it where fact,
> and dismiss creationism.

I've heard this sort of statement before, and I think there's a gap between the
way scientists use the word theory and the way non-scientists do, leading to
misunderstandings.  Let me quote the dictionary definition of "theory" here,
not as an authority, but as a point of reference:

  1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or
  phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely
  accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena. 2. The
  branch of a science or art consisting of its explanatory statements, accepted
  principles, and methods of analysis, as opposed to practice: a fine musician
  who had never studied theory. 3. A set of theorems that constitute a
  systematic view of a branch of mathematics. 4. Abstract reasoning;
  speculation: a decision based on experience rather than theory. 5. A belief
  or principle that guides action or assists comprehension or judgment: staked
  out the house on the theory that criminals usually return to the scene of the
  crime. 6. An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a
  conjecture.

It seems to me that when scientists say "the theory of evolution", they mean
definition number one or perhaps number two, but when people say "it's just a
theory", as Matt did, they mean definition number six.  I would insist these
are not the same thing.  Intentional or no, I think there's a bait and switch
going on here.  When a scientist talks about a theory, they don't mean to imply
that it's "just conjecture".  Just the opposite.  If someone comes up with an
idea that has no predictive or explanatory power, it has not earned the label
of "theory", it's just an idea or a hypothesis.

Or perhaps I am misinterpreting Matt?
--
Don Smith                    Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
donaldas at umich_edu                          http://xte.mit.edu/~dasmith/

The Iron Chef in The Matrix:       "I know Kung Pao!"       "Show me."