Re: cs lewis

In a message dated 6/21/01 12:15:20 AM Central Daylight Time,
Ysobelle at aol_com writes:

<< As for revisionist histories, pardon my language, but if I have kids in
 school, they'd fucking well better be taught as secular a history as
 possible.  >>

 I haven't read the new thread yet as I worke around 15 hours today but
here's my initial take:
Coming from a Christian POV believe it or not I *partially* agree --
possibly.  Not totally sure what you mean by teaching secular as possible.  I
don't think a public school, with people from all different backgrounds, is
the place to teach Christianity or any other particular religion at all.
BUT, I do think we should teach as NON revisionist "a history as possible."
If there were religious reasons for a historical event the reasons should be
taught and in order to give a basic understanding of why it would be also
necessary to give a basic understanding of the beliefs of the people involved
in said historical event.  You don't have to proselytize to do that, just
explain what it was about the faiths involved that made people act the way
they did.  Religion, or the lack thereof, is very crucial in understanding
history, sociology, science, etc. since man tends to be a pretty religious
animal.  To teach these things and completely ignore or edit out religious
reasons for them, when there are, is to teach a fabricated history that never
was or at least only is partial truth.  I think children need to be taught as
objectively as possible.  Of course biases will always be there but a teacher
should work hard at ferreting out what his biases are and try, to the best of
his/her ability, to not promote his own particular bias but instead present a
balanced view giving the student the tools to decide for themselves what they
wish to believe.

kevin