Re: minorities

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Don Smith wrote:

> > are you left handed? you're a minority!
>
> Being a lefty, I really enjoyed the following story I was told about a
> conference on racial priveledge.  A reporter was interviewing the
> keynote speaker, and being rather skeptical about the whole idea of
> white priveledge, and she said "are you right handed?"  He affirmed
> that he was, and she said "Go and open that door with your left hand".
> It happened to be one of those door handles that rotates downward to
> open the door, so he had to twist his wrist into an awkward position
> to open the latch, and then he had to push the door across his body, a
> contortion made more uncomfortable because the wrist was already
> twisted.  It would never occur to a right-hander that there was
> anything remotely problematic about the door.  With the right hand,
> it's just:

something really funny - when a rightie breaks their arm, they can do
hardly anything ,  it seems like.

when i broke my left arm - it gave me a headache to try switching my frame
of reference. from making checkmarks to reach for a door.

things that lefties have rought time with *scissors*. computer
mouse. telephones - the one with cords, you hold it in your right hand and
try to dial on one of those desk type phones - you tangle to cord in your
arms.  potato peelers and can openers.

and my all time beef - notebooks and notebook paper. until i discovered a
lefthanded spiralnotebook - it's reverses (: someone said 'why do you use
that? it's so silly' i asked them to write in it, please - his hand got
all bumped against the spirals.

> comfortable.  That's what majority priveledge is all about.  The
> "natural" way things are work in ways that are comfortable for you,
> and in such a way that you don't ever have to think about it.  Those
> of us that are different have to either train ourselves to fit the
> mold (I open doors right-handed, most of the time), or be subjected to
> constant annoyance and discomfort.  And lest someone discount lefties
> as a minority, I could list *dozens* of everyday things that are set
> up for the convenience of righties: subway turnstiles (the ticket goes
> to the right, and often I forget and put it in the left, meaning I
> just let the person to my left in for free and I get a locked steel
> bar in the crotch), those lecture hall desks that pull out to the

good explanation.

rhys

--
Anything that happens happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something
else to happen, causes something else to happen. Anything that, in happening,