tata j*sus is b:angala (poisonwood)

i read _the poisonwood bible_ 2 years ago, and i loved it. i'm one of those
who stand up for barbara kingsolver as a writer, when most reviewers of her
books slap around the words "liberal" "political" and "unrealistic".

sooo...knowing that some real mccoy smart folks are reading this book
negates the oprah-list stigma that has since been placed on what i found to
be a disturbingly lovely book that still sits in my stomach like diner
coffee. i loved the book, the change in the characters, and the way it
straddled the line between mocking and supporting religion. i never felt
insulted (at the time, i was still hanging with the campus crusade folk) by
the book, yet i saw how ridiculous some missionaries (keyword is *SOME*) can
be. i did find the denouement a bit drawn out...like, i enjoyed the
continuous following of the characters' lives, but it just seemed like it
dragged too far after the climactic scenes. kinda like _a prayer for owen
meany_ (which i also loved, funny...)

i dunno...i'll shut up on-list, but if you want to email me offlist or what
have you, that's fine too.

jillian.
reader of the occasional smart-people book.