Re: pittsburgh concert in review. :)

Maybe I'll say enough...maybe I'll say too much...

Okay, better late than never, I now give you all my 2¢ impressions of the
Pittsburgh gig.  I've waited partially due to laziness, partially to make
sure it was really as good as I thought it was.  Anyway, this should give
the list plenty 'o OtR related material to discuss.  WARNING: EROTIC
CONTENT! (as if!)

>From: JLuvzMusyk at aol_com

  of course, i've been in
>such a servere depressive state for the past week that seeing over the
>rhine
>was the first time i've been able to smile consistantly...i need that high
>again.  it's definitely worth driving eight hours today...

Ah, my dear S.A.D. friend, all you missed in the 'burgh on Saturday was
dreary rain.  I would have attended the Toledo show with you, had you asked,
if only to hear "Toledo", but I guess you didn't make it anyway, eh?

>list...inadvertantly, all of us listees had been sitting together anyway!
>talk about coincidence!  twila and husband darrell drove in from maryland
>to see
>otr!  how about their dedication!  :)

Coincidence or divine providence?  Wait...let's don't answer that.  Still...

BTW, you forgot to mention that Darrell looks like the stunt-double for
Jesus.  "Wouldn't Jesus be surprised?"

>i think the best comment of the night was when joe said, "wow, i thought i
>knew what *perky* meant, but i really didn't."  matt wanted the waitress to
>bring me a sedative.  *pout*  :)

Awww, don't cry.  If I'm ever actually drunk, it will from drinking every
drop of your soul, and running 'til I sweat your spirit.

linford was wearing a bright orange shirt (which i
>honestly think he wore to the show in december), and his hair was looking
>slightly disheveled, making him even more attractive.

That's the effect I strive to achieve with my hair!

*sigh*  jack was
>wearing a form fitting shiny green shirt, which i didn't notice under his
>jacket until goodbye, when he took it off.  wow...that shirt made him look
>*really* hot!  :)

No, the jacket did, which is why he took it off, I'd wager.  LOL, we're I of
the alternative lifestyles, I'd say Jack puts the Jack in Jacket.

>anyway...the setlist (with commentary) is as follows...
>
>1.)  when i go: I wish Jack had played along with Karin the whole time, and
>Linford had just played the subdued organ part on the disc, instead of
>following the guitar with his keys.  As you said, Jack looked bored 'til
>his solo.  CD version much more better, me thinkie.

>2.)  The World Can Wait:  and when karin started her incredible wail, i was
>in absolute heaven.

Imagine being a red-blooded male then...

>matt says, "i love the way that ended!"

Yes!  It just dissolved into a cacophony of guitar noise, which should have
been my first clue that I was gonna like Jack by the end of the evening.

>3.)  If Nothing Else:  This song is my life story.  Didn't Jack add a cool
>solo here?  Whenever it was, I just went nuts!  (So much so I can't
>remember when it happened!)  Jack was being "flashy"!  Anyway, this got me
>thinking...Ric was the technically superior player, but Jack is better at
>improv?  Does that seem right?  I remember seeing OtR once and getting
>impatient over all the amorphous "whale noises" Ric was playing in lieu of
>the actual melodies.

4.)  Faithfully Dangerous:  These alternate takes are so very cool!  But the
original is still the best!

5.)  Fairpoint Diary:  This was the point in the show where i wished that
either Karin would play and electric guitar or that Linford would step out
from behind the keyboards and strap on a Leslie.  Perhaps when they graduate
to bigger stages?  Anyhow, the former would have preserved the piano solo.

I've inscribed this in the inside front cover of my journal.

>6.)  I Radio Heaven:  This is my fav of the new material, and it sparkled
>here.  Also, I don't think it droned on at the end as long as it does on
>the CD, the sole flaw of the original.

>7.)  Little Blue River/In the Garden:  Wow, I was smitten with Jack's
>skills by this point!  The lap steel work was incredible!  Way beyond the
>CD!  What a song!

>8.)  Birds:  In the past, after the initial schism, I'd grown annoyed with
>Linford taking old songs and adding keyboard/organ/piano parts that weren't
>in the original.  I know this song has piano originally, but my point is
>relevant because these "re-creations" are far better than hearing, for
>example, "Like A Radio" played in it's original form with Linford banging
>away on the keys and destroying my memory of the song.  Better to remake
>your own material than to try an fit an extra part into the existing
>arrangement.

>ps...matt does *not* fit into an unattractive listee theory, and neither
>does
>steve, and jillian, i've never seen you, but i'm sure you don't either.  so
>there!

Next time I'll take off my shirt, then we'll talk!  (Oops, gotta start
workin' out!)

>9.)  Moth:   Better than it was in December, and not just because this
>rendition is now more familiar to me.  It was the best song back in Dec,
>but the band as a whole wasn't as "on" as they were this time!  In fact,
>they were so "ON" that they WENT OFF!

>10.)  Latter Days:  this is my crying song...

Yeah, that was a "precious moment".

>before starting they talk about how _gdbd_ got them a lot of places, and
>brian yells, "yeah, like the x-files."  karin laughes and says she's still
>working on meeting david duchovney.

Also, when she mentioned GDBD, I yelled YEAH!, which caused Karin to look at
me with a rather bemused smile and say "thank you".  In the earlier part of
the 90s, my heart would have melted.  Now, I just got a warm fuzzy.  You
see, back when Karin sang of "train robberies" of the soul, not wanting to
be left alone, and being thought of by the opposite sex as "artless", I felt
her pain, and I wanted to ease it.  Her voice also pierced my heart and took
residence there.  I loved her.  Then she married that evil Dr. Det-something
or-other, and my moral convictions kicked in.  Alas, I could no longer allow
myself the luxury of loving her.  I'm sure many a lostee feels my pain.
(Perhaps this is what is truly meant by "lostee"?)

>someone calls out for jack's valentine...like that's going to happen.  once
>karin started talking on stage, linford became strangely silent...

Which is why she said, "Some nights he just talks and talks..."  I was at
one of those.  He tried to read a romantic love poem and had to stop because
the lighting ws too dim.

>11.)  All I Need Is Everything:   Before I die, or maybe after, I NEED to
>hear this performed with a live orchestra.  An organ is a poor substitute.

12.)  she introduces the group...they were awesome!  congrats to jack and
>hazel on their baby!  they then go into *my love is a fever*  not a
>favorite
>of mine, but done very, very well.  all i want to know is how someone
>(karin)
>who usually looks like such an angel look so devlish!

Did she?  I didn't notice.  What I did notice was your bare feet, Jess.
Quite lovely.  Made me think of the Bible verse about how a messenger
bearing good news has lovely feet.  This, in turn, made me think of the
list's discussion on bare feet when listening to OtR.  Then, I thought of
the Bible verse again, and how lovely your feet are, and how sad it is that
you don't use them to deliver the "good (gospel) news".  Then I remembered
you do, singing in a choir.  That gave me cause to think about Karin taking
off her stylish boots and singing barefoot.  (I don't have a foot fetish,
honest!  Well...maybe a little one.  Tiny.)  Then I thought about that verse
"I too am naked and I don't look that good" and wondered how that could be
true of Karin.  Then the aforementioned moral convictions kicked in and
snapped me outta it.

ANYWAY, humiliating stream of consciousness notwithstanding, I realized that
OtR is largely responsible for my starting to like jazz during this song.
And that Jack just maybe can replace Ric after all.

>13.)  Goodbye!:    matt just said afterwards "that was amazing"

Boy was it.  I was floored.  Best of show.  The end is so powerful, did it
used to be even more so?  I didn't miss the strings at all, I was so into
what the band was doing.

>Encore:  Strength:  wow...the bass is amazing!

Yep, and the whole song, being done acoustically, was just fantastic!  It
ROCKED!  I need this version, as it kicks the snot out of the synthetic
original.
                                                          Having met the
vivacious Jessyka and the stylish Gardner, the fetching Twila and her 2nd
coming of a husband certainly contributed to this being the greatest OtR
show in the history of Pittsburgh.  Then there was the undisputable fact
that this line-up was smashing!  (Dale Baker should moonlight.)  You guys
were right, this tour is unbelievable!  I haven't been able to stop
listening to OtR since.

Afterwards, when the last blessed note had wafted into the heavens, I
felt...energized.  As if the holy spirit had descended and nested in my very
heart.

The next day, in church, I received little of this feeling.  (A bit, but not
much.)  The music and the fellowship at the show had been special, like it
was church the way God intended church to be.  Nourishing,
invigorating...alive.  Perhaps the Protestants have a point...the traditions
(rituals) of men are evil.  K&L are certainly not traditional, and I thank
the sweet Christ for it.

I prayed for them in church, btw.  Prayed that they would produce good fruit
during he overseas jaunt Karin mentioned at the show.  Implored the Lord to
open doors for them.  Fellow listees, regardless of belief, please do the
same.  The world can't wait...

I'm semi-awake,

Matt