judgment vs. suggestion

tom brought up an interesting point here, which i'm suprised has been
somewhat overlooked.

there is a difference between "judging" someone and "correcting" someone.
heck, even the word "correcting" is a bit harsh. in a (shallow) example,
when my mom tells me that my hair would look better if i didn't tuck it
behind my ears, she isn't judging me. her opinion of me doesn't change. she
has made no conjectures on my character based on my hair being behind my
ears...she simply notices that my ears are slightly gable-esque, and points
out to me that maybe they shouldn't be featured in my hairdo.

(my mom's a hairdresser, what can i say?)

in other words, if you point something out to someone, regardless of any
christian connotations, it isn't judging unless you really are making a
concrete, opinion-forming judgment of that person. a judgment is so
final...it's seeing someone and saying, "oh they have dreadlocks, they must
be dirty." or saying "that woman is going to hell because she had an
abortion"...all without knowing who these people are. making statements
about anyone "going to hell" is judging, or calling someone a "bad person".

this is all very elementary, but i needed to get it out. this goes for
christians and non-christians, i think. i can be very judgmental, and it
doesn't do anyone any good.

and i don't think our criminal justice system is an abomination to
god...only certain parts of it. ;)

jillian.