Re: karin, poles, trilogies, and machines

I wrote:
> > > this notion that Christians have no right to judge is silly when the
> > > Bible clearly lays out a set of standards by which we are instructed
> > > (hence the term "bible") to hold ourselves and others to.

To which Peter replied:

>Hence the term?  Uh, no.  "Bible" simply means "book".

Okay, I stand doubly corrected, but if you follow your link you'll see that
the mere "book" definition is OBSOLETE, while the defintion as any
authoritatitive book is valid.  Don's point that I was thinking backwards by
starting with the modern defintion is the better argument. Sorry, in my mind
the term "Bible" has been internalized to mean"instruction book".  That
worldview informs me in ways that were manifested rather unfortunately in
the above paragraph.  Really, is that so wrong?

>http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?bible=Dictionary&va=bible

>So, arguably, if you're being fair and consistent, and judging yourself by
>the same standard you apply to others, there may not be a problem there.

I meant to write that when I mentioned that the Bible defines standards for
us to hold both ourselves and others to.

>    What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you
>    not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. "Expel the
>    wicked man from among you." -- I Corinthians 5:12-13

I refered to that this morning.  Great minds...  Did you miss my post?

>Ah, but there's a difference between "judging" and "being judgmental".
>Just as there's a difference between "arguing" and "being argumentative".

Wow, thanks!  That really nails it!

Matt