Re: too little too late?

on 5/18/01 10:05 AM, Julie Storms at juliestorms at netscape_net wrote:

> this is a throwback reply to the perfect album thread...
>
> there was a comment made that a perfect album has to, by definition, be
> consistent, to carry the same feel through all the songs.
>
> i couldn't disagree more.
>
> i love an album that surprises me around every corner, that lulls me into a
> quiet, contemplative mood and then shocks me on the next track with something
> alive and kicking.
>
> that said... here's a few of my perfect albums, along with many that you folks
> have mentioned.

Hey... I never posted my list either. So consider this bad boy resurrected
(for now, anyway)... I love both kinds of records mentioned - one that
carries a consistent feel/theme and one that makes me go "what the heck?"
But mostly it's just about "dang, I sure love that CD/tape/record. I want to
listen to it again." Or "wow, I feel this way today. This piece of music
sure fits this mood." I'm sure many of mine have been mentioned as well...

U2 - The Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby
Radiohead - OK Computer
Sigur Ros - Aegitis Byrjun (even if I can't understand a word)
The Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Beck - Odelay
The Prayer Chain - Mercury
Over the Rhine - Good Dog Bad Dog (with the exception of "Everyman's
Daughter" - sorry Jan...)
The Beatles - Rubber Soul/Revolver ("Dr. Robert" excepted maybe)
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile/The Downward Spiral/Broken
Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball
10,000 Maniacs - Our Time in Eden
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
Depeche Mode - Black Celebration
The Violet Burning - Self-titled/Strength
The Cure - Disintegration
REM - Automatic for the People/Out of Time (after the KRS 1 opener, anyway)
Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville
Prince - Sign o the Times
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Mineral - The Power of Failing
Pedro the Lion - It's Hard to Find a Friend

Ones that came dang close...
Moby - Play
Radiohead - The Bends
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Starflyer 59 - Gold
Tori Amos - From the Choirgirl Hotel
Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary/How it Feels to Be Something On
PJ Harvey - Stories from the City...
Tool - Aenima

Enough for now. Must sleep.