Variety Playhouse show - 5/14

    Little Five Points is a section near downtown Atlanta that defies
stereotyping.  Women in mohawks with steel purses pass homeless people with
shopping carts full of their worldly possessions.  Men in dreadlocks cross
the street with suburban yuppies trying to figure out what makes this place
so wierd.  It should come as no surprise that Over the Rhine fit right in
here on Monday night.

    As we drove through the neighborhood for dinner, we passed Karin and
Linford on the street, no doubt having returned from rooting around at
Junkman's Daughter or one of the myriad of bookstores in Little Five.
Rather than cause a big ol' ten car pile-up, I kept driving.

   Here's what they played:

*  When I Go
*  The World Can Wait
*  If Nothing Else
* All I Need
* Anything At All
* I Radio Heaven
* Little Blue River/In The Garden
* Birds
* Moth
* Anyway
* Faithfully Dangerous
* My Love is a Fever
* Goodbye

  ENCORE:
* Sleep Baby Jane
* Latter Days

   Some notes about the show:

- Linford is front and left, surrounded by his Wurlitzer keyboard in front
and the organ and keyboard on his left.  The Leslie cabinet is behind him
and he's got a Fender amp on his right, so he's boxed in.   Linford's new
hairdo and glasses made him look kind of like Bill Mallonee.  Or Shaggy,
take your pick.  Zoinks.

- Karin's all by her self in the middle with one accoustic guitar.
  No Red Rickenbacker.  That's just as well, I guess.  As close as I
  was to the stage, I might have grabbed that beautiful guitar and ran
  off with it.  Okay, maybe not.  After "Anything At All", I don't
  think Karin picked up her guitar again for the rest of the night.
  I forget how expressive and compelling she is when she doesn't have
  anything in her hands.  She's got that big ol' belt buckle again
  tonight.  My wife loves the cow print shoes.

- Jack is on the right.  During the night he played two Gretch guitars
  (one bright orange, one bright red) and a Fender Stratocaster.  He
   also had a lap steel guitar which he played for um, "Anything At
   All", and "Little Blue River" and probably some other stuff.  He
   uses a Vox amp.  Karin introduced him as "Jack, of the porno
   guitar."   Jack looked kinda tired, especially at the beginning
   of the night, but he picked it up as the night went along.  No doubt
   that's what having a little baby around will do to you.  His guitar
   solos in "Little Blue River", "If Nothing Else" were great.

- Wade wasn't wearing his sarong, skirt, whatever, tonight, just
  jeans   But Karin remarked that his legs do look "fine!"  He was
  behind Linford.  He played a teal Fender bass.  I have no clue what
  kind of amp, my vision isn't *that* good.

- Dale Baker is in back behind the bulletproof glass.  Dale rocks.  I
  suppose when Sixpence starts touring again, we won't get to see him
  with Over the Rhine anymore.  That's too bad.  Enjoy it while it
  lasts.

-  I guess they ran out of time or we didn't cheer loud enough.  That
   meant no second encore so we didn't get to hear "The Body is A
   Stairway of Skin" or "Give Me Strength"  Well, that stinks.

   Um, that's about it.  It was a decent crowd, 100 or so people at the
Variety Playhouse.   All things considered, a very good show, though
I'm looking forward to seeing them when they are *really* in their
element like at Cornerstone or at the Taft.  The crowd must have
enjoyed it, because I think all 100 people were at the merchandise table
after the show buying CD's and whatnot.

   Jeff

   Visit the Over the Rhine History Page
   http://JeffreyHolland.tripod.com/otrhine/index.html

----
Jeff Holland      JHolland444 at hotmail_com
http://JeffreyHolland.tripod.com