Re: Soundtracks

> >From: "Peter T. Chattaway" <petert at interchange_ubc.ca>
> >
> >I posted a list of all the soundtracks in my CD collection to another
> >listserv a few months ago; you can check it out at:
>
> I checked this out, and this is a Daniel Amos list.  So tell me, what does
> "Kalhoun" mean?  Please?

Kalhoun!

Well, for those that are uninitiated in the magic of Daniel Amos and the
mind of Terry Taylor, let me explain that Kalhoun is the name of their
album that came out in the early 90s with some funky soviet-style art on
it.  It's a great album with a love song that my fiancee and I consider as
close to 'our song' as we have.

BUT...the title track is really the song that I remember most about the
album.  'Kalhoun', the song goes, 'is the magic word they say came down
from ancient babylon/when the tower of Babel crumbled and the language was
all wrong.  The natives were confused/but they understood one word.  Now
its on display in a little museum down in south Pittsburgh...Kalhoun!'

The song goes on like that, rambling about a magical word that came down
throught the annals of time.  The chorus actually sums it all up...

"Don't know exactly what it means - it's just a sacred kind of
thing...Kalhoun!"

The idea runs parallel to a number of other songs that Terry Taylor has
put out through his band.  Kalhoun is that self-same 'Sweet Bye and Bye'
that he uses throughout the Alarma Chronicles - the warm, fuzzy sacred
feeling that gets everybody feeling very happy, but is ultimately as empty
and pointless as a Monkees reunion tour.  People can search for it, claim
they've found it, fear it, but in the end it is literally obsessing about
nothing.

Really, 'Kalhoun' is the word that has no definition because the only
point to its creation by Terry & co. is that it cannot be defined.

-Drew

O ^ ^   Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew       )
O(_|_)         Looking for the cheese shop since the year 2000             X
O Check out splat.melm.org (monkey at melm_org) & goats.com (drew at goats_com)  |