Re: perfect schmerfect

> > That's the whole point, bubba.  That, and see ones
> > other people listed that I may have forgotten about.
>
> I'm confused.  I offer up a post in which I totally
> disagree with you and you respond with "That's the
> point"?  I don't get it.  Maybe you could help me see
> the connection I'm obviously missing.

There may be hope for you yet.

Discussions aren't very interesting when everyone agrees with each other.

> And it's Mr. Bubba to you, Pal.

When you've earned it.

> > And if it pisses you off, then that's just a bonus.
>
> Sorry, it was so far from pissing me off that it's
> laughable.  Sorry to hear you would consider that a
> good thing.

People get so easily agitated, and take random things so personally - it's
entertaining to wind them up and watch them sputter.

> That does sort of seem more like pushing a Pumpkin
> agenda than even thinking "what albums do I think are
> the best."
>
> > I said "most" - a lot of soundtracks amount to
> > little more than a greatest
> > hits of a certain era/genre/what have you.
>
> I would heartily agree that is the current state of
> affairs.  It annoys me greatly when I see a commercial
> for a movie and it says "with music by..."  It's
> shameless marketing.

> I was watching "The Birds" the other night and was
> really intrigued by its lack of soundtrack or music
> score.  It used to be that films used music, or didn't
> use music, as a tool to further the story or
> atmosphere.  Now, I can't tell you how many times I've
> watched a movie and been distracted by the stinking
> music.

> That being said, back in the day I don't believe
> soundtracks were so much greatest hits, at least to
> begin with.  Saturday Night Live soundtrack may seem
> like that now, but when it came out it was mostly new
> music written for that film.  I think that happened
> way more in the 70's and early 80's than it does now.

Saturday Night Fever is one I would definitely disqualify.  A collection of
music (danceable, no less) that's (then) currently mega-hot, done by (then)
currently popular artists?  Just because the music is written specifically
for the movie doesn't mean the intention isn't there to create a "greatest
hits" type effect with it.  Doesn't matter if it's the Bee Gees & Saturday
Night Fever, 80's pop & The Breakfast Club, or Collective Soul & Varsity
Blues.

One exception I would make would be Tom Petty's soundtrack for She's The
One.  That one pretty much stands up as a damn fine album on its own.  Not
"Perfect", but damned good.

~C