Re: U2

--- "Peter T. Chattaway" <petert at interchange_ubc.ca>
wrote:
> > > Generally speaking, I don't care *what* a
> person's political views are
> > > if they don't affect the art.  And if they *do*
> affect the art, well,
> > > it depends, then, on *how* it affects the art.
> >
> > i think i understand your point.  but music is art
> and isn't the whole
> > point of art a creative way of expressing one's
> subjective view of the
> > tangible world?  and so much of one's view of the
> world (like it or not)
> > is at least somewhat connected to political views.
>
> Sure.  But, like Sting said, 'I'm Not Gonna Play Sun
> City' isn't exactly
> all that creative.

to take that one step further, could *nothing like the
sun* really have been recorded at any other stage in
sting's career?  meaning, there is an awful lot of
political undercurrent to that record (tacitly at
best, most often), yet it is considered in many
circles as a great "sex" album.  wha...?  how the heck
did he do that amazing record with those 'opposing'
pulls??  that's a realm of getting dangerously
manipulative as an artist, which i think is fine and
cool and interesting if it's done with a bit of élan
and great care to craft... one of the reasons i love
OtR's music so much.

my .02,