the choir and innocence mission

it seems very strange and providential that Max and I
were, just yesterday, listening to and discussing
"Flap Your Wings" for the first time in quite a while.
 and now today, this very album has been brought up by
someone other than the two of us.

as i was telling Max, it seems to me every new Choir
album seems a little more experimental than the last.
and i agree with most of you in that this latest isn't
quite as moving as the others.  maybe, like someone
said, it just needs a little more time to grow on us.
still, for me "Free Flying Soul" comes in a close
second to "Circle Slide", the magical lullabyes of
which I remember lulling me to sleep nearly every
night for about a year when I was in high school.

as for Innocence Mission, I have to break from what
seems to be the consensus (probably only because I'm
not as familiar with "Umbrella").  "Glow" will always
be the defining IM album to me.  Maybe because it was
my first introduction to the band, but none of the
other albums I've heard seem to have that same
evocative power.
obligatory quote in hopes you all will sense what I
mean:
"... you go outside and see the Holy Spirit burning in
your trees / and walk on, knowing what you do know,
still you tremble out and in ..."

happily enjoying the first time discussing two of my
favorite bands with people other than my immediately
family and circle of friends,
--Jay