Re: ghetto (was: the debate about language)

--- jillian tully <waytogojane at hotmail_com> wrote:
> >no, you're right.  my students use it all the time.
> >also, "bootleg" is bad.  "ghetto" is crass.  "off
> the
> >chain," and anything rhyming with "eeze/eezey" is
> >good.  things rhyming with "izzle" are coming into
> >their own too :)
> >
> >it's fun to teach high school.
>
> you know, "ghetto" is one of those words i've
> adopted as well. i'm pretty
> sure i picked it up from melissa on "the real world:
> new orleans". either
> way, i use that term a lot....in a non-prejudiced
> way. often i use it to
> describe myself (*ha*)
>
> anyway, the neighbourhood i live in now is really
> close to the "other side
> of the tracks", and i go to the city (new york)
> quite often. i've noticed
> that my usage of that word to describe things that
> are dodgy or cheap goes
> waaaaaaaaay down. i'm afraid of offending those
> people, or having them think
> that i'm your average snobby white person, when i
> probably have more in
> common with them than they think.

well, the people who live in our ghetto here are the
ones who taught me the term :)  overtly too.  they are
responsible for my slang acquisition and i for their
dealings en espanol.

i feel very special to be considered their dog.
"you're my dog, srta. hall."

i realize that the term "nigger" is a problem in this
way of thinking...that black people can say it and not
anyone else.  i think "ghetto" is less controversial
though.  and plus, it comes from jewish neighborhoods
before black.

-marie