ghetto (was: the debate about language)

>no, you're right.  my students use it all the time.
>also, "bootleg" is bad.  "ghetto" is crass.  "off the
>chain," and anything rhyming with "eeze/eezey" is
>good.  things rhyming with "izzle" are coming into
>their own too :)
>
>it's fun to teach high school.

you know, "ghetto" is one of those words i've adopted as well. i'm pretty
sure i picked it up from melissa on "the real world: new orleans". either
way, i use that term a lot....in a non-prejudiced way. often i use it to
describe myself (*ha*)

anyway, the neighbourhood i live in now is really close to the "other side
of the tracks", and i go to the city (new york) quite often. i've noticed
that my usage of that word to describe things that are dodgy or cheap goes
waaaaaaaaay down. i'm afraid of offending those people, or having them think
that i'm your average snobby white person, when i probably have more in
common with them than they think.

anyway, i digress...

jillian.