Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #551

> they do fit into that category, and yet they completely escape it
> somehow.  you don't ever hear people asking about their faith in the
> same way they ask about OtR or sixpence or sarah masen...and this is
> because people didn't come to be fans of u2 through cornerstone or
> truetunes or grassroots music.com or friends who listened to other
> bands in that subculture.

Or it could be that U2 has been around twice as long, and Christian fans
went through all that are-they-aren't-they angst years ago.  U2 may not
have played Cornerstone, but they *have* played Greenbelt, a British
Christian festival, at least once in each of the past two decades, IIRC.

Of course, Greenbelt is fairly liberal, as these things go.  When I went
there in 1994, the roster of musicians included Mike Scott and The
Proclaimers (both of whom say they are not Christians, per se, though
there is a lot about Christianity that they appreciate) and Midnight Oil
(the lead singer of which is a Christian, though the band as a whole is
not exactly known as a "Christian band").  And I doubt you'll ever see
Cornerstone setting up a "condemnation-free zone" where gay and lesbian
Christians can go and hash out their issues.  But Greenbelt is also the
festival where Steve Taylor recorded _Limelight_ in 1985 (indeed, it's
because I'm a Taylor fan that I wanted to attend Greenbelt while I
happened to be in England that summer), and he was there in 1994, too,
promoting _Squint_ and shooting promotional videos for the festival.