Xian music

I'm a student at Cedarville University (a christian school for those
of y'all who don't know), and I'm surrounded by this kind of music ALL
of the time- in music theory class, blasting in my hall as I try to
sleep, in cars passing by. It's not that "christian" bands have no
talent. There are many christians who are amazing musicians. It's the
christian record companies
who need to take the bad rap- they suck. To these companies it's all
about finding these semi- talented (or less) musicians, giving them a
Gap-ish  haircut and some funky glasses, and telling them to write
some shallow lyrics to harmonically simple songs. (The itsy bitsy
spider has more chords than some Supertones songs.) Then well meaning
but dumb high school and college age christains,  who still aren't
sure if Jesus likes us listening to secular music or not, buy the
cd's, the bands come to Cedarville for a weekend, and I see a movie
instead of watching them, and contemplate how much I wish that Ben
Folds Five never broke up.
I think that the saddest part about this is that God is really not
glorified by this kind of music. He gave us music as a beautiful gift,
and if we have a talent there, we as Christians are commanded to
praise him with it with all our might- just as our beloved Over the
Rhine does.

thats my 2 cents anyways.

Shelley

p.s. Canal Street- 7 more days! Yay!