Re: the new Moth

Howdy,

     Moth is a great song no matter what, but...

>When I listened to the new version for the first time, I agreed.  Too
>fast!!!
>  But going back to the old one from that was like, "Boy, this is really
>dragging!"  I like the new addition on the guitar, also.  It puts a new
>twist
>on it for sure.

     You know, having been to one of the pre-release shows here in
Pittsburgh, it struck me instantly that the new Moth was the live
arrangement I'd heard at the show.  This was a nice bonus, but I'd would
have preferred it more if it had replicated the concert mix more accurately.
  When I heard it at the show, the guitars were LOUD, especially during the
chorus.  It, to use a cliché, ROCKED.  Presented in this way, it would have
given FFR a much needed kick in the pants.

>One thing I noticed was that the overall sound quality of FFR has a kind of
>hollow, empty sound.  It's one that kind of hurts my ears when I turn it up
>too loud (esp. "Give me Strength"  The world surrounding me...)  Compared
>the Eve that was very pleasing on the ear and had alot more bass coming
>through.  Yeah!  That's what it is! It's missing that bass sound that fills
>it all out to make it not sound so screechy. What do you all think?

     I'm not sure I agree, but I have a sub-woofer.  Still, it could be a
by-product of all the organ and piano being mixed too high.  I can't tell
you how worried about FFR I was prior to the release.  (Heightened upon
hearing "Give Me Strength" with its techno beats.)  I tend to think organs
homogenize music when used to excess.  Piano can as well.  I do not have
this problem with guitars, because they are inherently more expressive
instruments, capable of a wider range of sound.  FFR was to be the first
post-Ric, Linford off guitar totally, CD in OtR's history.  I expected the
worst.

     FFR is infinitely better than I imagined, mostly due to the sheer
creativity of it all.  Not to mention those Leslies. Still, I cringed when I
read that interview wherein Linford referred to the organ as his "choir in a
box" or somesuch.  I think LD should mix things up a tad, and strap on the
ol' guitar more often.  That's what I think.
     I'd love to hear those bootlegs of "Little Blue River" and "Goodbye"
you all are raving about.

Singing songs of loss and love,

Matt