Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #531

i don't know if you ever got a response to this posting.....i've been away
from my computer for a few days, and was doing some back-tracking when i
stumbled across this.   i seldom take part in the list other than to read
the postings, but this struck me as something to respond to.  i too am fed
up with most "christian" artists.  i've been working closely with people on
my job that had a very bad impression of "gospel/christian etc" music.
after hearing otr, 77s, 6pence, mike knott, lsu and a few others, they have
come to realize that there really is some real talent under the label of
"christian" music.  however, i've been truly disappointed by the fluffy
stuff produced by the mainstream ccm industry.  i grew up in a christian
home, preacher's kid....sunday school, youth group, choir....did all the
"good girl" things.  i'm now at a real questioning point in my life...due
to a lot of political crap that went on in my church...and still
occurring....i really don't know who God is....or what "truth" is....and
because of this...i am increasingly sickened by the crap on the radio that
is first of all to "edify the believer" and please.......is supposed to
appeal to those "not saved".  i consider myself to be a believer....i still
have faith that God exists, i'm just very disappointed in those who claim
to be His own.  if someone such as i....raised in the church...can feel
alienated by this music...then how much more alienating can it be for
someone to whom these pretty words of happiness and light were not heard
every sunday morning?  it seriously sickens me.  i'm imperfect....i've
screwed up many times in my walk "in the light"....and i desire...i need to
hear music that acknowledges that we are all HUMAN....not robots that
memorized those scripture verses so that in those difficult times we can
pull them out to save us from the influences of darkness.

as for courage....if you ever DO find it...please let me know where you
found it....because my search has been fruitless.  to paraphrase a
friend....i've been taught many things...."good" things, indeed...as a
child.  these doctrines have built for me a foundation that i stand on...a
large foundation that i always felt to be solid, a foundation that could
never change... but only grow.....but in the last 5 years....that
foundation is crumbling....slowly chipping away...until i barely have room
for my teetering toes.  if someone can find some courage out there
somewhere......please....point me in the right direction.  i am
discovering that otr is a flashlight in this darkness....a glimmer of hope
that i am not alone.

ok....all ranting aside...i'm far from the chicago area....but i wish the
best for your endeavor....sounds like a radio station i've been longing for
.....for years.  for your listeners' sakes......i would certainly hope otr
is played daily.  : )