Criterion (was Re: bruce)

Kevin wrote:
> having a DVD player for only the last few months

Welcome to the madness that is home theater.  Be prepared to either
develop a will of steel or spend a lot of money soon.  :-)

> I wasn't familiar with Criterion until recently. But now, in the last month
> alone, being I'm in the know, I've picked up 4 Criterion discs: Brazil, Time
> Bandits, The Most Dangerous game, and Walkabout.

I rented the Most Dangerous Game a year or so ago, and was very impressed
with the commentary track.  That's one of my favorite short stories, as
it is, and the commentary track does a great comparison/analysis of the
film and the story.  It also gets into the relationship between this film
and King Kong, which is pretty interesting if you're a film history buff.

> So what's some of the better Criterion discs out there and is there a good
> place to get them or they EXPENSIVE wherever ya go?

Well, they are intrinsically more expensive, in part simply because
of supply and demand.  It's also a small company trying to do the
best they can, which is often an expensive proposition.  All in all,
it's still a darn good deal.  You can find the best prices on any
DVD by using dvdpricesearch.com (under their power search, you can
select "criterion" and get the best prices for the whole catalog).

In addition to what you have already, I can recommend: Lady Vanishes, 39 Steps,
Seven Samurai, M, Do the Right Thing, Chasing Amy, The Third Man, and The Last
Temptation of Christ.  Of the ones I have, those are my favorites.  I haven't
yet watched Lord of the Flies, Alphaville, and For All Mankind.  The Passion of
Joan of Arc is amazing, if you're into silent film (it does have a DD5.1
recording of a hauntingly beautiful track of modern music that was composed for
the piece and uses texts from medieval female Christian mystics for the
libretto.  gorgeous sound.).  Hidden Fortress is due out next month, and
Rashomon is supposed to be coming soon.

I'm happy to talk more about DVD and home theater, but probably we should
take it off list.  Feel free to email me about it.
--
Don Smith                    Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
dasmith at rotse2_physics.lsa.umich.edu        http://xte.mit.edu/~dasmith/

"Standing on a well-chilled cinder we see the fading of the suns and try
to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
				     - Georges Lematre