Re: Minnesota

Troy wrote:
> so they *started* with a downer for us. ;)

To me, an ideal show would start with a bang, swoop down into some slow stuff
in the middle, and then build to a wild crescendo at the end.  But then, what
do I know?  They're the ones actually making money off this.  :-)

And somehow, I would separate the slow songs into downers and floaters.
Anyway is a downer, and When I Go is a floater.  Go Down Easy is a floater,
and Like a Radio is a downer.  Does that make sense to anybody else, or am
I just out in left field on this one?  :-)  Let me also add, in case it's
not clear, that I am not implying anything intrinsically negative about
"downer" songs.  Sometimes the blues are the best.

> I'm kinda bummed we missed out on _Body is a Stairway_.

It was in-frikkin-credible.  Linford turned on this little gizmo that played
the looped percussion, and Karin sang/breathed the first verse.  Then,
somewhere in the middle, the other band members trickled onstage and started
weaving their sounds into the mix.  It was like the old If I'm Drowning, only
in reverse.  Jack was playing some wild, wailing sounds on the lap guitar with
a slider, and Dale had that weird theremin-like drum machine.  It went from a
very sparse, elegant mantra to this complex, intricate symphony of unusual
sound, maintaining a continuity of theme throughout.  Just breathtaking.

--
Don Smith                    Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
dasmith at rotse2_physics.lsa.umich.edu        http://xte.mit.edu/~dasmith/

"Standing on a well-chilled cinder we see the fading of the suns and try
to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
				     - Georges Lematre