Re: suggestions, please...

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Don Smith wrote:

> Howdy,

alo.

> Really?  In what way?  I thought Diamond Age was much more in line
> with Gibson than Crypto.  And Snow Crash.  *Definitely* Snow Crash.
> There wasn't much cyberpunk in Crypto, at least not in the
> science-fictiony, futurist sense. It's set in the present and the
> past, and the technology is all extant.  It's more of a word problem
> in information theory than anything else.  :-)  What of Gibson's work
> does it remind you of?

in the ways he jumps ocmpletely around in the book, leaving the reader
kind of gasping mentally and wondering who is doing what and where? (:

it's a more intense Snowcrash, to my mind... snowcrash was made culturally
relevant, but cyrpto is more so- more in depth and has interesting points
about what culture can and does do to technology, development and the
mind. i love the wacko taking chaos and ordering it... i think it's what a
mind craves anyway.  at least gestalt says so.

um. i dunno. i just like books...

> > i absolutely loved Foucalt's penduluum... (:
>
> The thing about Foucault's Pendulum is that you have to be willing to
> let Eco take you where he wants to go.  He spends hundreds and
> hundreds of pages letting you get to know these characters well enough
> so that you understand why they make the decisions they do in the
> climax of the plot.  It's very different from your usual plot-based
> novels.  I found it seductive, and the ideas were thrilling.  The
> claim that people can find any number of ways to construct a narrative
> (there ya go, j. marie :-)) that connects a group of random points is
> one that has stuck with me and become integral to my way of looking at
> the world around me.

yea, me too. i loved reading the people, it was llike living in their head
and knowing them. so by the time they make decision 'x', you have made it
in your mind, or you have gone 'o, yea, that's what i'd do... or i
understand why he did it' i thought the inclusion of kabbala was
interesting.

> You mean Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series?  No, I was
> thinking of Neal Stephenson.

o. ok.

rs

--
If you've done six impossible things before breakfast, why not round it off
with dinner at Milliway's, the restaurant at the end of the universe.