Re: side-tracked, again

> you see, city of the lost children is certainly in my top ten favorite
> films.  and this is why i asked the question- i keep running into rather
> intelligent people, (including my artistic mentors) who agree with you
> concerning delicatessen and cotlc.  and yeah, they also generally agree
that
> barton fink is one of the coen brother's finest films, if not the best.
> now, see...

mmm.... even thought thay are intelligent people doesn't mean they have
impeccable taste.
I still don't know which one i prefer between the two but I think they both
are wonderful
to watch.
Don't you sometimes get the impression that some people say they prefer one
film
over another just because it seems "intelligent" to like it?
In the early uni years, it used to be trendy to say you preferred "Resevoir
Dogs" over
"Pulp Fiction" (becasue of the ear scene?) - then when Jackie Brown came out
(and it flopped at the US box office) that was the one to prefer!

Anyway, taste is a rather ambiguous thing. I know some pretty intelligent
people
who adored Independance Day....does that make them dumb?

On the subject of films, I got to see "The Man who cried" yesterday night
(yet to be released in
the US) with Christina Ricci, Cate Blanchett and Johnny Depp...It's a deeply
moving film set
before and during WW2 about this jewish girl and her travels looking for her
lost father...

Another excellent film I was recently (not sure if it's released in the US
yet) is la Veuve de
St Pierre (with Juliette Binoche). It's a very interesting drama around the
subject
of Death penalty and redemption... Another must see....