Re: a fly on my pastor's ass

Jillian, your email hits upon what I see as the central problem in many churches today--that people confuse the organization of religion with Christ Himself.  To me the relationship with Him is the big issue--but that's confusing too, because how do we really know Him?  I've been a Christian since age 11 (I'm almost 30 now), had my struggles along the way, changed churches several times, and finally just had to accept that there is soooooo much I don't know and can never know.  But what I can do is seek Him, and explore what I can of "the body of Christ" within my current church, realizing that the church itself is only a shadow of the greater kingdom.  That means there will be hypocrisy, negativity, judgement, and even cliques--all problems, by the way, that Paul discusses in several of his letters.  These problems existed in the early church and they will continue to exist until He comes back, because of the nature of humanity.  I have had to accept that, too, that much as I want to find the "perfect" church here on Earth, I won't be able to.

In the meantime, keep on asking your questions.  Even though you may feel like the fly, your pastors and Bible study leaders may be as afraid of you as if you were a hive of bees--because you have made them think--and thinking can be a very scary thing.  Even if they swat you away from their rearends, you might be stinging their faces.

Keep on searching--He'll come get you,

Kathryn

PS) Tori Amos occupies a permanent place right below my OTR CD's.
PS2) Have you ever listened to Nicole Nordeman?  Her music addresses some of the issues you bring up.