shoofly pie

hello. :) it's nice to know my sense of humour is somewhat appreciated
around here. i swear, sometimes i feel like the kid sister of the over the
rhine list...maybe i should stop paying so much attention to chris martin's
hair.

anyway, to answer your question, i meant that many of my questions are not
necessarily ignored, but oftentimes met with an uncomfortable look and some
kind of "that's not important" answer. when you ask questions about the
validity of the resurrection, or the virgin birth (that's a hot one), so
many youth group and bible study leaders will say, "well it doesn't really
matter...that's a technicality. jesus christ was the son of god." what kind
of answer is that? that goes beyond a simple "let's agree to disagree"...i
accept agreements to disagree on issues like politics and abortion rights,
not the fact that mary might not have been impregnated by the holy ghost.

i understand that faith wears coke-bottle lenses, and that's fine with me. i
know that i've felt faith...i have no problem with believing in things i've
never seen. (well, i have a problem believing that any overweight white girl
can sell records and be heterosexual, but i digress)

some leaders of these groups appreciate seekers highly. unfortunately, many
of these leaders appreciate seekers that come in wearing suits tailored of
misconceptions...people who think that christians are a cult, and that you
can't dance or listen to rock n' roll music *haha*. so then they can open
their arms and comfort these poor lost people and ultimately convert them.
they can right the wrongful images of christianity that today's "all for the
nookie" media instills in them. that is fine, and i have no problem with it,
but sadly, no one has ever thanked me for having problems believing in
religion.

god is not a religion.

i sometimes wonder if the god i believe in has anything in common with the
god they believe in.

i often think that jesus christ would weep once again if he could comment on
the state of today's church...kinda like some people think walt disney
would, upon looking at the state of his empire. *heehee - gotta love the
disney*

as common and ordinary as barbara kingsolver's books are, and as
unrealistically romancey as her critics will paint her writing to be, she
said in her book _the bean trees_ something along the lines of, "i wonder
what the lord meant to mattie, sometimes i think her idea of the lord is
that he's just one damn thing after another." (big fat SIC)

i think i can fly with that.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

jillian.