Re: Re: Healthy agnosticism

On 3/24/01 1:42 AM, quoth the brilliant Gilhamilton at aol_com at
Gilhamilton at aol_com:

>   Ah, but there is universal objective data on God. I see perhaps you don't
>believe there is and from you POV I would concede that yea, there is no way
>to truly know this mystery God. But I don't think he left us floundering
>totally in the dark, so to speak. He revealed himself to us through the many
>people that wrote what became the Bible and there,finally,  through Jesus
>Himself . Perhaps the Bible isn't without its flaws (I'm not convinced it
>is)
>but unless one says the entire thing is only man reaching up to God not at
>all God reaching down to man there IS something objective there for us to
>lay
>hold of. A reference point outside us. While we may not be able to fully
>understand it, hence all the different views among Christendon, objective
>truth is there to discover about Him.

Sigh. I have to trot this out every few years, and I suppose it's time
again. Thank G-d the argument seems to have grown up in that time. Where
we used to lob epistolary grenades, I think now we're handing 'round tea.
Have a cookie. You'll feel right as rain.

I think we should, even if we don't agree with it, keep in mind that
there are people out in the world who don't fall into any Christian sect.
Jews, Muslims, Pagans, Hindus, Buddhists-- many of whom have religious
histories that far predate the Christian era and who, I am quite sure,
have had adherents ever since those murky millenia whose personal
behaviour assured them a place in their own
Heaven/Nirvana/Elysium/Whathaveyou. My own worldview isn't Christian, but
I've always been taught that that doesn't mean neither I nor my family is
released from having to live a good, spiritually positive life or from a
hope of some beneficent afterlife.

There have been many cultures through human history who never had the
Judeo-Christian Bible. Billions of human souls. I don't think it's
possible for there to be any one universal theologial truth between all
of them. Maybe that cookies are good for the soul?

Just out of curiosity, did anyone catch that episode of "Family Law" a
few weeks ago wherein they discussed this topic? I caught just enough of
it to think it apropos.