Re: Healthy agnosticism

> > He revealed himself to us through the many people that wrote what
> > became the Bible and there, finally, through Jesus Himself.
>
> But even if I stipulate that, it doesn't change the facts that (a) we're
> dealing with some kind of intermediary (text and/or story).  Even if we
> all agree what the words on the page *are* (i.e., that we all have the
> same translation or edition), that doesn't mean by a long shot that we
> all agree what they *mean*.  If that's supposed to be an objective
> "reference point outside us", I don't think it works.  If you want to
> know what I think, I think the only objective reference point is within
> us.  But the only way we can know that point is subjectively.

Again!  You all have to see _Memento_!  That film is all about reference
points and intermediary texts and the way long-forgotten subjectivity
influences current objectivity.  It even makes a (brief but significant)
reference to the Bible.  So see it already!  :)  (And to tie this into
another recent post of yours, Don, two of _Memento_'s co-stars happen to
be Joe Pantoliano and Carrie-Anne Moss -- both from _The Matrix_.)