Re: Healthy agnosticism

In a message dated 3/23/01 3:09:18 PM Central Standard Time,
prestokelvo at yahoo_com writes:

<< Just to shake things up a bit...It must be said here
 that when it comes to God, truth, Christianity,
 whatever - there is a wrong and a right.  We can argue
 all day as to who is wrong and who is right, but there
 is an objective truth to who God is and what
 Christianity is, a truth that is universal, constant,
 and objective.  I guess my point is that there are
 some points on which I am justified in saying this is
 right and that is wrong.

 Fundamentalist by birth, Christian by the grace of God

 Kelvin

 Of course there universal truth. That's not what I meant. God is God. His
truth IS Truth. But, except for those occasions where
God is speaking directly through someone, (and even then we just
misunderstand it - TerryTaylor paraphrase)  much, if not most of what we
believe is of a more subjective, finite nature. We understand Him through the
grid of family, church, country, personal desires, limited experience,
limited...understanding, limited - well - everything.  I do believe we can
know a substantial amount of this God Jesus Spirit we as Christians believe
in. But the closer we get to Him (at least in my *limited experience*)  the
more mysterious He becomes as we surrender more and more, move deeper and
deeper into His shadow.
 Myself,  I think we're on pretty solid ground with the creeds (well 90% at
least) but when you get beyond those there's a lot of pretty slippery stuff
underfoot. Just look at the difference between the Orthodox, Catholic,
numerous Protestant, Baptist ad infinitum ad nauseaum belief systems. Is one
all right and the other all wrong? No, at least I don't believe so. There's
truth in all of them, amidst the error. Even as there is truth is all the
worlds religions.