Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #472

> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 02:36:37 -0600
> From: "jillian tully" <waytogojane at hotmail_com>
> Subject: this is why...
>
> i really have to hand it to otr for completely and totally messing with my
> head this year. :) they went from being "a band that i like well enough,
but
> wish i could like more" to being
> "holyshitmyfavouritebandintheworldtheycandonowrong"...i changed my credo
> from "i want to be britney spears when i grow up" to "i want to be karin
> bergquist when i grow up"...i went from never seeing them live to seeing
> them three times in five months...i met real-life listees, even getting
into
> a listie *picture*...and most of all, i heard the new songs in concert,
> thinking that the band was headed into an alt.country direction,
especially
> since the tagline on the backporch records logo is "roots rock
> americana"...then they release an album that is not only hearbreakingly
> gorgeous, even heard over the phone in the background with all the horrid
> acoustics of a dorm room at northeastern on computer speakers, but as far
> away from alt.country as you can get.
>
> and this is why i love over the rhine. they screw with my head. :)

jillian, when are you ever going to learn to open up and really tell us what
you're thinking ;)

actually, i'm right with you on most of what you said about the new album.
with the exception of sarah masen's new disc, nothing has struck me the way
otr has recently. i've heard a lot of these songs, either live, or as mp3s,
but the album still hits me now as i listen to it. powerful stuff.

> jillian.
> oh, and emilio is estevez because it's his mom's maiden name...he pulled
an
> eddie vedder (rather, eddie pulled an emilio) and used his mom's surname.

and martin sheen's brother (who looks and sounds nearly identical) goes by
joe estevez. so far, he's been the least successful of the family, lower
than martin, charlie, and emilio. (at least) one of joe's movies was riffed
on by MST 3K

> and chris martin is my new boyfriend.

i only know about a dozen chris martin's, and i'm guessing this isn't one of
them :)

steve

== Steve White == swhite76 at hotmail_com ==
http://members.xoom.com/echobase2000/sw.html
http://www.tollbooth.org