Christian art

The latest discussion on Christian music seems to
have run its course, but I just read this today
from Madelein L'Engle, which is pertinent:

"Stories, no matter how simple, can be vehicles
of the truth; can be, in fact, icons. It's no
coincidence that Jesus taught almost entirely by
telling stories, simple stories dealing with the
stuff of life familiar to the Jews of his day.
Stories are able to help us become more whole, to
become Named. And Naming is on of the impulses
behind all art; to give a name to the cosmos we
see despite all the chaos.

"God asked Adam to name all the animals, which
was asking Adam to help in the creation of their
wholeness. When we name each other, we are
sharing in the joy and privilege of incarnation,
and all great works of art are icons of Naming.

"When we look at a painting, or hear a symphony,
or read a book, and feel more Named, then, for
us, that work is a work of Christian art. But to
look at a work of art and then to make a judgment
as to whether or not it is art, and whether or
not it is Christian, is presumptuous. It is
something we cannot know in any conclusive way.
We only kno if it speaks within our own hearts,
and leads us to living more deeply with Christ in
God."

Jeff McCloud
teamccloud at yahoo_com