RE: Popularity vs Obscurity

Gardner McPherson wrote:
> "More comercially friendly" songs and
> albums is how I got the musical taste
> that I did.  If The Cure never released
> Love Song, Love and Rockets never
> released So Alive, Jesus and Mary Chain
> never released Head On and...

if faith no more would have never gotten
big on "epic," i would have never gotten
into the messed up brilliance that is mr.
bungle...

as for commercially friendly songs... one
of my fav bands, toad the *wet* sprocket,
is one of the most pop-radio driven bands
that i can think of.  they knew how to
write songs that had that appeal.  i don't
think any less of glen and todd due to
their success.  i attribute me getting
into them due to the fact that "walk on
the ocean" got played a TON when i was in
10th grade.  that song helped me get into
their other stuff that was very good...

the beatles were one of the most hugely
successful bands in history.  that doesn't
knock down any of their credibility in my
mind...

i'm not saying OtR is at that level, nor
am i saying that OtR will necessarily gain
anything close to that level of success.
i'm just saying that the opinion of their
new stuff being "more radio friendly"
shouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

confirmation of suspicions,
Dan