Re: black and white

I don't think you're ludicrous at all.  But you are -
at least for me - creating more questions than
answers.

> when i suggested that for me, ric's music was "very
> white", i didn't mean "very caucasian", i meant, for
> me, it lacked something akin to soul.

Are you saying that black people have soul but white
people don't.  See, to me this is a very rascist
comment, almost as if we're shallow and emotionally
bereft.  Too self-serving and busy enjoying our
position as "the man" to have any experiences that
touch us deeply.  How about Darryl Hall, Janis Joplin,
Karin Berquist, Paul Young, Joe Cocker...?

 > can white be a musical term. a very subjective one
> that doesn't have to just refer to white musicians.
> lionel richies music seems white to me.
> the rolling stones can be black as all get out from
> time to time.

Once again, it sounds to me like you're placing "white
music" in the inferior category (Lionel Ritchie) and
"black music" in the superior category (Stones).  Is
Lionel white just because his music is cookie-cutter
pop?  Is that how you define white music?  Just
because a musician wails, does that make it "black" -
as if a white musician could never pull off anything
that genuine or heartfelt?
Do you see what I'm trying to say?
I think I have a point...
Maybe not...
You tell me.

i'll
> probably break down and feel compelled to respond.
> again.

Here's hoping you do :)

Soul Brotha Kelvin

=====
"I never much liked flying,
The job requires trying;
The hard part's avoiding buildings and concrete."
              -- Ellis Paul