black and white

before all hell breaks loose again, maybe i was off
track. i started out to say, that it would make me
uncomfortable to do what ric did, take the name that
as far as i knew referred to a black jazz legend for
the name of a band i started. i personally couldn't do
it because for me, because of my background and
appreciation of jazz, it would feel inappropriate, and
for me personally, would be embarrassing because i
would feel the name wasn't mine. for me, it
complicates it somewhat further because i'm white, and
i feel like Thelonius and many other black jazz
musicians put up with a lot of crap from white people.
i'm not blaming the people on this list or myself for
years of slavery, or for keeping the black man down.
i'm not blaming ric for years of slavery, or for
unfair discrimination to black musicians that was the
norm in the '50's, '60's etc. i'm not suggesting we
all feel guilty and roll around in the mud.
it just surprised me when i saw a band named "monk"
because i thought of another musician by that name
that had earned a lot of international respect and
acclaim in certain circles.
where i went wrong was assuming the general public
might agree with my thinking, and might be surprised
too. time will tell. most of you seem to agree it's no
cause for concern whatsoever. i accept that.
i didn't set out to call ric a racist or say he was
mean or rude. i set out to say it would make me very
uncomfortable. that's all. i'm just one person. with
one set of experiences.
when i suggested that for me, ric's music was "very
white", i didn't mean "very caucasian", i meant, for
me, it lacked something akin to soul. other people
might be deeply moved by it. i'm not somehow, and
that's ok. i think.
can white be a musical term. a very subjective one
that doesn't have to just refer to white musicians.
lionel richies music seems white to me.
the rolling stones can be black as all get out from
time to time. musically. in my opinion.
thanks for your time. if there is an official way of
changing the subject, i'm ready. can one of the
long-time listies make a motion or something. if
people continue to express how ludicrous i am, i'll
probably break down and feel compelled to respond.
again.

trying to get the hang of meaningful exchange,

tina