mailing)
Date:   Tuesday, February 6, 2001 2:57:42 AM

"I'm not sure how to feel. Part of me is very excited. I did one
interview already with a magazine based in Philadelphia,
and the reviewer had liked what he heard. But this surprised
me for some reason. It's a messy, juicy record full of doubts
and hopes and tiny epiphanies. It occurs to me that we should
try to be more reserved: it might be less embarrassing for everyone."

Linford,

Its an honor to write to you.  This touching paragraph left me a thought I
thought I'd share.  Indirectly, it reminded me of something I recently read
about Bono from the mid 80's.  A journalist commented that one of the good
things about him was his passion for U2's music.  He knew it was good and he
didn't mind saying so.

Now, normally I am turned off by over zealous salesman types and I'm sure
you are too.  I appreciate your modesty and your very real doubts about the
final result.  But you are not marketing an '86 Ford Tempo here. I just
wanted to encourage you to be very enthused and convinced of the
overwhelming worth of this record.  I've heard the songs at shows in Dec and
Jan (Schuba's and Hope College) and been carried away.  There is magic in
this music.  Its a piece of heaven for us all.
Feel free to show your enthusiasm to the press!

Thanks so much for everything
special thanks to you and Karin for being so gracious in person at Hope
College.

-David VanFarowe