Monk/OTR

> I couldn't stop thinking
> during the show how glad I was that these guys were no longer playing in
> Over The Rhine. The music and the whole vibe of monk had little or nothing
> to do with what drew me to Over The Rhine when I first heard 'Til We Have
> Faces: concise songwriting, understated musicianship and sexy
spirituality.
Well, that really shows how different OTR fans are. I got into OTR cause I
saw Monk play and I was so amazed that I bought all their CDs.
Then later I found out that Ric was in OTR so I bought their albums, too.
I agree with you that the "magic" of OTR doesn't really depend on Ric. I
mean, GDBD is a masterpiece and yet it's not so much a Ric record.
But at C-Stone last year I saw both bands play. Monk just took my breath. It
was so perfect and Ric and Mike are just such virtuosos (sp?). IT was a
perfect show for me. Then, at the end of the festival I saw OTR, for the
first time ever. And while the magic of  the moments when just Karin and
Linford were playing were hard to beat by anything, those songs where the
whole band played kind of let me long for other musicians. Not that they
were bad but they just weren't "magic", if you know what I mean. The new
guitarist is great, imo, there's no arguing that, but again imho, he just
can't compete with Ric (maybe it's just his more country-like style that
turnes me off, who knows...).
Well, but no matter what, I will still buy this new album and I will love
it.
And I think it's great, that people's tastes are so different...

tobi