Monk

I have to admit that the news about Ric and and possible cut backs on live
concerts is sad.  The music he's created with Over the Rhine and Monk has
brought alot of joy to me. The way he described the experience of seeing
one of his favorite artists is the feeling I've gotten when I've seen Monk
perform.  I only wish I was able to see him play with OTR.

I do recall seeing him play at the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor and only having
15-20 people there to witness it.  While it was sad that more people
couldn't experience his wonderful music that night there was something
special that stays with me til today.  I can understand some of the
frustration because that night there was the group of drunk college
students that shouted "man you shred!"  They were topped by the drunk guy
who wandered in at the end of the show expecting the band to play more for
him.

I've personally enjoyed the chance I've had to introduce new people to
Monk.  I like the memories of friends seeing them for the first
time leaving amazed by what they witnessed.

I also remember seeing them perform for a small crowd that was totally
wowed.  Their level of appreciation grew and grew all night and the band
played on and on and on.  You could tell they weren't going to stop any
time soon.

I think my favorite memory was seeing them at Cornerstone 2000.  They had
a large crowd in the Gallery tent and many people were exposed to the band
for the first time.  Seeing Rikki Michelle sing back up for the band was
truly memorable.

Thanks Ric for truly blessing so many people with beautiful music.

Bill Keith
--
Bill Keith, WSDP Radio, Plymouth-Canton Schools