A Window in the Cold

The days are finally getting cold here, a good thing I guess, though it is
kind of mixed now. My flesh wants SNOW and my heart wants it  to be a nice
fall day. Why is that? Well, over the past month I have spent a tremendous
amount of time on the streets. I want to share some of my experiences with
you.

I have also seen collaboration between other groups and now the children are
fed once a day by someone, except for saturdays and now we can more
effectively help these kids. I go out on the streets every Tuesday and
Thursday afternoon, it is a wonderful time that can also be bittersweet.
There are times (like this past tuesday) where the kids are all drugged and
you wonder why you are doing what you are doing. And there are times where
your heart is filled with the joy of the child thanking you for the dinner
you gave. I have chosen to bring a warm meal every time I come. This means
more sacrifice on my part than going and filling up a bag with fruit, bread
and meat but I feel that I can give them a few minutes of warmth through
that food.

My purpose in doing what I am doing now is to build relationships with them
and build trust. And I have seen a couple of the kids open up greatly to
me... to see a 13 year old girl come running up when you come and not want
to leave your side is more than you can explain.  All the stories are tough,
children abandoned, children neglected, children abused... most of these
kids would be in foster care in the states, where here they keep sending
them back to their parents... until they run once more. Some have no idea
who their parents are, some were told  by their parents they wanted nothing
to do with them. Every story brings tears to your eyes.

I am blessed to be an american becuase then I can't understand the vulgar
language used, I know it's used because I have seen the look of shock on
some of the romanians  faces.... I am sure I could add many new words to my
vocabulary, I am desperately trying NOT to.

Now, I want to tell you a story of a group of kids who live on the streets
in Cluj. One of the first you meet is Grace* (names are changed for the
protection of the children), she is 13 though she looks like she is 10. She
is longing for attention, though she is very emotional and one moment you
are her best friend and the next she doesn't want you to come back to help
(or so she says). Her brothers are tough, they are 14 and 15 (though they
look like they are 12 and 13. I would say all are malnourished. Their story
only begins there, their parents live in Turda, if asked Grace says "I ran
away because my parents forced me to beg." and when asked what she does now
in Cluj she grins and says with a giggle "I beg". But she does it for
herself now. I met their mother not too long ago, she had come to see her
kids... I found out that she has a baby at home and  I am sure that she will
wind up on the streets too. None of the kids stay with their mother. While
she was there the two brothers never showed their face... perhaps because of
fear,  perhaps of not wanting to go back. The mother, when asked when her
daughter's birthday is, looks confused and begins to try to piece together
when she might have been born. "um, January" and when asked the day she
fights more in her brain and finally winds up with the 15... when asked how
old her daughter is she says "13" with an unsure look on her face and when
asked the year there is no hope of knowing. The stories get confusing
sometimes, but they are all the same... a parent who really doesn't care
that their kids are cold and alone.

Then there is Clau* (names are changed) who is 15. He is originally from
Sibiu and he says his story this way: "I have 5 brothers, but none of them
are from the same fathers. my mother abondoned me when I was young and left
me with my aunt. I tried to see her a coupe years ago and she told me to go
away. I lived with my aunt until she lost her apartment and I wound up on
the streets. Eventually I was put in the orphanage there and I liked it, but
my grandmother came and took me out. I ran away from her house to Cluj
becuase she gets drunk and beats me. I want to go back to the orphanage but
I don't know if I can get in, I have taken some tests to find out if I am
sick or not... then I will go to the orp hanage or to the hospital in Cluj."
when asked what he wants to do with his future  he says, "I have wanted to
be a waiter all my life" of course, he would be great, he has an abililty to
relate to just about anyone...

These are two of the many stories I can tell... sometimes you fight for the
truth, they are so good at believing something else. So some of these
stories are subject to change as I continue to piece together the twisted
lives of the precious children on the streets of Cluj.

Don't forget to check out my website: www.bigfoot.com/~prayforamy I have
totally revamped it and it is full of new pictures and more!!!

Amy Tompkins
prayforamy at bigfoot_com
www.bigfoot.com/~prayforamy