No Subject

Narhan wrote:

>I was channel surfing the other night while driving and my radio
>landed on a somewhat clear signal so I listened a bit.  I heard an
>ad for something in northern Kentucky.  Huh?  Where is this from?
>Then the station later claimed to be the "home of the Reds."  Could
>it be?  Finally, it identified itself as WLW, AM 700 Cincinatti.  I
>think those were the call letters and frequency.  I was impressed
>that the signal pushed itself across four state lines, through the
>woods, over the river, despite the cold, to land in my
>area, just south of the Twin Cities.  Who'da thunk it?

It also was the only station in the world to broadcast at 500kW (the
historic limit that still exists today is 50kW).  There were stories of
people holding fluorescent bulbs near the towers and having them light up...
  My pal Andrew does the news on there in the afternoons, but don't tell
him, it's kindof an old person's station.

Here's a truly fascinating article about the station and it's history.  Made
it more clear why the name Crosley is all over Cincinnati.  My sister's
place is less then 1km from the tower.

http://www.ominous-valve.com/wlw.html

Bruce