Re: Cast Away and such!

*** SPOILER ***

> I truly appreciated the ending.  It was left open minded.

Just *barely*, though.

> Where as it could have become a clichéd ending where regardless of how
> much time had gone by, he would have picked up his life as if everything
> had only happened yesterday.

Actually, I thought it *was* a cliched ending, having the pretty woman
with the angel wings turn out to be his saviour.  He stands at the
crossroads and sees that his life could go in any direction, but IIRC, he
looks back in the direction from which the pretty woman came, and smiles,
and that is the last shot in the film.  No, they don't go all the way and
have him follow her and hook up with her, but it *is* suggested as a
possibility, and perhaps even as the *preferred* possibility.

But that's just my beef with the ending.  I thought the film worked as a
sort of experiment (or a stunt), and the part of the story that took place
on the island itself was done rather well, for a Hollywood movie.

--- Peter T. Chattaway ------------------------ petert at interchg_ubc.ca ---