Re: quixotic & cast-away

--- Dan Temmesfeld <dtemm at yahoo_com> wrote:
> oblig. sidenote: anybody see cast away
 it's amazing how for about
> an hour of it, there is only one actor
> and no music and no serious dialogue.  it
> still works.

Actually, I could have watched the whole island
sequence for about three hours.  It was fantastic.  I
think it was succesful in dealing with a lot of themes
and topics other "stuck on a desert island" pieces
ignore.  I think the absence of a music track
(something hollywierd should do more often) and the
refusal to keep cutting back to the real world helped
create a sense of isolation.

 plus, creating a character
> out of a volleyball that the audience
> begins to relate to... well, i was
> impressed with that, too.

Although I liked the whole vollyball thing on a
creative "ain't that clever" level, I didn't really
buy into it on an emotional level.  There was a time
or two when I felt like I was being manipulated into
caring for Wilson as a real person, instead of letting
it happen naturally.  Of course, by just "letting it
happen naturally", they would run the risk of it not
happening al all for some.  That's part of the gig, I
suppose.

Did anyone else think the whole flick (although I
liked it a lock) seemed like one gigantic product
placement for Fed Ex and Wilson?

thoughts...

Kelvin

=====
"I never much liked flying,
The job requires trying;
The hard part's avoiding buildings and concrete."
              -- Ellis Paul