Re: Radiohead

Owner-Over-The-Rhine at actwin_com writes:

<<
 firstoff, i do think that critics' propensity to lap up anything thom and
 co. will put out is silly. granted, radiohead are one of my favourite bands,
 but i'll also admit it if i don't like something they've done (and so will
 the luuuurvely british press). i think some of the melodies thom comes up
 with are truly amazing (fake plastic trees, let down, stop whispering,
 motion picture soundtrack, etc) but i sometimes think people fawn all over
 radiohead without really liking them all that much...just to have some sort
 of "indie cred". >>

agreed. I can recall reading a British mag...I don't know if it was Spin or
what, but they did a review of a Radiohead concert prior to the release of
Kid A, and it wasn't exactly dripping with superlatives. It questioned
whether the new material would succeed. Of course I saw a recent British
Magazine (I can't remember its name either) who did a best of 2000 with
Radiohead winning almost every award. That was a joke.

So yes, I think Radiohead might be over hyped, as much as I love them. I
think there are a couple of tracks on OK Computer that aren't all that great.
Still, you have to give them respect for trying things others don't have the
guts to.

And if people fawn all over them for indie cred aren't they pretty stupid? I
mean a band that is on Capitol, and sells millions of records doesn't seem
like an indie band to me.

Brittney