RE: clerks cartoon, poems & beauty, and planes

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Kelvin Bailey wrote:
> First off, I don't thing the poem is all that - with

> I'm not saying that Linford's poem is anywhere near the disaster that
> 'The Last Temptation' was.  I'm just wondering how much attention it
> would get at all if it used another colorful euphamism.  I dunno...you
> tell me.

maybe none.  art and literature often use shock value to grab your
attention, to point out that the world is not wuite what you've known.
it's to stretch the way you think, to force yourmind along new pathways
and cause you to question the old and the new.  you come away different;
whether you've changed your mind or no, you ar edifferent for having
read/viewed and thought about something.

in that sense, i say his poem has effect and is good. it made me think
about things, and the way people are viewed and how sometimes christians
think that sex is something shameful and dirty and refuse to talk about to
their kids..

> As to the "Christian" aspect...Yeah, I'm a little disappointed.  Not
> so much that he wrote the thing, but that he would choose to share it
> in a public forum, one in which - like it or not - he is representing
> at least a facet of Christianity to those who aren't Christians.

extremely valid point... in a sense, christians are sort of like PR people
in a foreign land. um. so it's good to try to live up to an image that
non-christians have of us? or is it worse to do so? is it dishonest? ?

> Whatever mindgames or language games we may want to play with the F
> word, it is profane.  That is univerally acknowledged.  (That's why if
> you put it in your movie too many times, you'll get an R rating.)
> That creates several problems that I see. For those of us who call
> ourselves Christians, the Bible says "Let no unwholsome talk come out
> of your mouth."  I think that word qualifies as unwholesome talk.

i think... that sometimes swearing is appropriate. it's like any other
facet of language, it has its place.  like a well-placed punch. or like a
prayer.  i've been in some pretty rough situations, where i've said s***
or something like that. or even o God, which i know would shock some of my
friends. the thing was, it wasn't so much swearing as trying to express an
extreme situation... some things happen that nothing else expresses so
succinctly as a swear word. its pithy. having said that, i think they are
very over-used.

> Mind you, I can let some corkers slip out of my mouth from time to
> time.  Heck, only a saint can drive in Louisville and not utter the
> occassional profanity.

ever so true. (:

>  But we're not talking heat of the moment diarreah of the mouth.
> We're talking about writing something that most people recognize as
> inappropriate and publishing it for all to see.

is art something that's comfortable? are we suppsoed to look at the top
and assume the worst? i'm not saying you are, just asking, cos i don't
know always how to look at art or things that are offensive in one sense
and beautiful in another.

> This poem doesn't make me doubt Linford's faith, just his wisdom in
> this particular matter.  But then again, I never thought that he and
> Karin were St. Peter and the Madonna.

exactly.

rhyss

--
Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't
know the answer to. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Douglas Adams