Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #373

Sorry Kevin, looks like i may have spoken too soon for
the unanimity of the "Christian opinion".  Keisha made
an interesting point that this poem seems like
something one might have written without the intention
of sharing it.  that nails it.  it's also what makes
it so powerful and beautiful.  isn't honesty the one
constant responsibility of the artist?  this poem
feels like we're listening in on a playful, private
conversation between two people who are gleening some
kind of understanding about the nature of their
relationship and how their relationship with God
affects it.  i have to give J. Marie credit for the
latter bit of insight:

>i don't know that the content wasn't so much the
>loving relationship singled out b/w a man and his
wife
>but rather that relationship coupled with the silly
>ways in which we see ourselves and our lovers in the
>possible light of what our creator might see.

with honesty being the single objective, the "baggage"
associated with a word is no longer a factor.  context
is truly what it's all about, we're given a glimpse of
a personal conversation in which this word was used
and all the context we need to know what it meant at
the time.  it's not about "redeeming" a word if - in
certain contexts - the word doesn't need redeeming.

Jay