RE: on Hoosier life

--- Michael Cade <michael.cade.liv1 at statefarm_com>
wrote:

> No one has been real vocal about Ron Sexsmith that I
> have seen so far.  We
> could not imagine that some of you mentioned liking
> him.  We thought it was
> comic relief at best.  My wife said her 3rd graders
> write better poetry.
> "In Lebanon, Tennessee....." Please, that was about
> pathetic.

aHEM.

i would gravely disagree with you here, my friend. i
feel he is an incredible songwriter. and if you feel
3rd graders write better poetry, then they must be
DAMN good poets. not from this country, anyway.

"There's a rhythm, it's subtle yet strong
And it moves all the wallflowers on
To the dance floor that holds everyone
To the sound of one drummer, one drum"

"Yes, I know you've been hurt by words
I've said
But more by the times I turned my head
For the willow of your smile is showing through
You're aching for the words we never use."

"A sickly, sweet wind is blowing
Across the fields of hell
A licorice night's unfolding
Near a grave sight a corroded
Old and burnt out carousel..."

"First chance I get I'm gonna write you a letter
And tell you everything I'm feeling
First chance I get I'm gonna make it better
Then we can both start healing
Ah, but now there's blood everywhere, tears and
despair
And the mirror is cracking
First chance I get I'm gonna send my blues packing"

"The world looks so much brighter when you believe in
every word
Now I'm holding on to all those years like a tear
before it falls unheard."

these are but fragments of his lyrics. i see
incredible images and colour in them. are they any
worse than these OtR lyrics:

"Hej, Hej, Hej...
Hej, do you wanna sit right here?
Here beside me?
Do you like that?
I do."

how incredibly deep.

but we consider OtR to be an excellent band, filled
with good lyric writers. It makes me sad to see the
majority of "music listeners" instantly discredit a
single man with his guitar. it takes a hell of a lot
of guts and strength to stand alone with your songs
like that.

As far as "Lebannon, Tennessee" is concerned, i like
the song very much. it's a good character study of a
small town and of a vagabond on his own. but then,
maybe i treat songwriter's music differently since i
am one myself.

there. i'll stand up for mr. sexsmith. as a matter of
fact, after his performance, i was one of the few who
did.

bink