NASCAR country

Dearest Peeps,
Although not an avid race fan myself, I'd like to
point out that both Linford and Karin ARE race
fans...I happen to bump into them at the Kentucky
speedway this summer...Linford's take on it is that
its a great way to let your hair down and bond with
the REAL people (the salt of the earth, as he put it).
 He said he gets a little weary of people coming up to
him all the time wanting to discuss poetry and
literature...soemtimes its fun just to drink beer and
yell your head off for someone tearin' around the
track at breakneck speed...he called it a real
catharsis.  And, of course, Karin just likes to watch
the crashes.

Anyway, preferring NASCAR to Nabokov or beer to ballet
doesn't make you a heathen...just different...and i
guess it is kind of fun looking down our noses at
those "less cultured" than us...

hey, i sat behind people that hadn't showered in a
week at saturday's show...they definitely had some
culture goin'...a bacteria culture...how in the hell
did lack of personal hygiene ever become associated
with hipness?  And for pete's sake, drag the
occasional comb through your hair...

reaching for my black turtleneck and beret,
elmo'