-----Original Message-----
From: owner-over-the-rhine at actwin_com
[mailto:owner-over-the-rhine at actwin_com]On Behalf Of Dan Temmesfeld
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 7:02 PM
To: OtR Listserv
Subject: sharing the darkest night...

in twos.

[before i get started, how was the OtR radio show
this evening?  rick?  amyjoy?  melissa?]

the first portion of this message regarding sharing
the darkest night... i heard a wonderfully-beauti-
fully-gorgeous version of over the rhine's arrange-
ment of "silent night" sung tonight by ms. megan
linton.  she did karin's vocal acrobatics justice-
very much so.

megan, i could NEVER sound that good, and i don't
even have a chopstick lodged in my throat... ;)

don't kill me. :)

the second portion of this communication regarding
sharing the darkest night... somehow at work i'm
known as the "music guru" (yes, those exact words
are thrown around).  that's not saying much, as
most people with more than 10 CDs are more in touch
with the music realm than the accountants at my CPA
firm.  but anyway, every monday it seems like i get
asked by *at least* two people, "so how many
concerts did you go to this past weekend?"  they
know me to like many types of music (i think i
ramble about radiohead or mr bungle too much). many
of my fellow colleagues have indeed heard of Over
the Rhine due to the ritual monday question.

on this monday, i was eating lunch with my bud mike
(the only other young guy in my office), our office
secretary, and another staffer.  the subject of
christmas music came up.  i only have a handful of
christmas music in my collection- as most of it
makes me want to laminate my ears shut.  i happened
to have OtR's DNOTY with me that day (getting ready
for this saturday, ya know).  anyway, we were on
the subject of christmas music, and i wasn't speak-
ing up too much (i had a damn good sandwich that
day).  becky (our secretary) said, "you probably
don't like christmas music."

waving my finger in the air, "ah, actually, i have
a christmas CD with me in my office right now.
it's kind of dark, though."  then they went into a
big ramble about "how could a christmas album be
dark!?!"  i didn't know how to explain it, but i
said that it's beautiful and dark.  "it's candle
music" is how i described it. that didn't register
on anyone's faces either.

i knew that becky had bought a sarah mclachlan CD
last year because of the song "angel," but she
thought that the rest of the album was way too
dark and depressing.  [background: becky's a great
lady; mother of 3 college/post-college kids.  she
was a hippy in the 60s, and is more in line with
my mom than anything.]  i told her that she could
borrow my DNOTY CD; so she could see what i meant.
she liked it (i knew she would). she was surprised
that OtR wasn't a huge group. i told her that they
were too smart of a group for that.

so far i've had 100% success with letting people
borrow OtR.  trouble is that i've only force-fed 3
or 4 people with OtR so far.  i'm not the mission-
ary, yet.  i guess.

excited about saturday.  yay, terri templeton is
gonna be there, too- or so i imagine...

way too much living in a minor key,
Dan

np: incubus - fungus amongus
  (brandon boyd = mike patton)

+-  Dan Temmesfeld   -  dtemm at yahoo_com  -+
     society must let the artist go, to
+-  wander off into the nebula (incubus) -+